Nature or Nurture
1. Learning is very important in determining who we are.
2. You can’t change your genes, but you can choose how to live your life.
3. If we take identical twins, and give one the best environment possible, and put the other one in closet for eighteen years, the differences will be profound , and caused totally by environmental differences between the two children,
4. Identical twins living in parallel universes do not necessarily lead identical lives.
5. Environment is more influential.
6. There is also substantial proof that an individual’s environment affects his mental aptitude.
7. It is often difficult to separate learning from our biology because we begin learning at the moment we are born.
8. Biology certainly determines part of what we are, but we start learning as soon as we are conceived.
9. We hardly separate biologically determined behavior from learned behavior.
10. Socialization is learning. Socialization refers to all learning regardless of setting or age of the individual.
11. A person’s entire environment seems to be more effectual in determining his mental ability than heredity is.
12. Experiments such as these ones prove that a person’s environment can have a crucial effect on him and on his manner of thinking.
13. A study done in Great Britain in the late 1980s shows that nutrition plays a very large role in a person’s development.
14. Starving people across the globe show why lack of nutrients in human bodies can stunt mental evolutions as well as physical growth.
15. Unique environmental factors (unique to children reared together) cause differences in behavior.